So I've decided to switch to Apache Tomcat, probably the most-used open source servlet container. Apparently the 6.0 branch is considered stable, so I downloaded and installed the 6.0.10 release.
Some issues I encountered with this switch were:
- it's not obvious how to run Tomcat in the foreground, so I may press Ctrl-C to shut it down;
- my XSLT parsing suddenly went bananas, with XSLTC complaining about not being able to compile my stylesheet, without indicating the source location - this probably has to do with Saxon (the one I used before) no longer being found or so;
- when I explicitly specified that Saxon should be used for XSLT processing, a TransformerFactory failed to be instantiated with a NullPointerException;
- the Tomcat 6 configuration docs are incomplete and slightly confusing.