The original blog post follows below.
A few months ago I switched from CVS to Subversion. All seemed OK, until I tried to add Apple iWork documents (Keynote and Pages) in the repository. These 'documents' are in fact complete directories. That's fine so far, but then when any of these programs saves the document, they purge unknown subdirectories, including those that happen to be called
So I went looking for a Subversion-oriented solution to work around this issue. What I found instead was not a work-around, but a product that does not expose the weakness Subversion has. It's called SVK. While based on Subversion, it offers various improvements over the latter:
- local commits - commit to the remote repository later, keeping all log messages; allows you to work offline for a while and sync when you're online;
- faster operations - the 'status' and 'log' commands are claimed to be much faster;
- no metadata in subdirectories - this information is stored elsewhere in the file system;
- smarter merge - making branches less painful;
- log filtering - find that commit you're looking for;
- combine import and checkout - it's possible to import a directory and convert it to a working copy at the same time, boosting productivity;
For more information, see the Wikipedia article on SVK.